Rules of Conduct
1. Each Epsilon Beta member and new recruit shall maintain decorum becoming of a respectful, morally dignified lady at all times. Members are to uphold the values of Chi Omega at all times. Behavior, at any time, that is disrespectful to one’s self, any person or her property, or disrespectful to the Chi Omega chapter, and/or the good name of the chapter, warrants grounds for disciplinary action by the Standards Board. Loss of membership may be decided by the House Corporation Board due to the severity of the abusive behavior.
2. NO ALCOHOLIC BEVERAGES OF ANY KIND ARE ALLOWED TO BE CONSUMED BY A CHI OMEGA SORORITY MEMBER OR RECRUIT WHOSE AGE IS UNDER 21 YEARS
3. NO CONSUMPTION OF ALCOHOL OR THE POSSESSION, USE OR SALE OF ILLEGAL DRUGS OR CONTROLLED SUBSTANCES IS PERMITTED IN THE CHI OMEGA HOUSE OR ON THE PROPERTY OF THE CHI OMEGA HOUSE
This includes escorts and dates who are drinking beer or liquor. If any member, new recruit, escort or date is found drinking any alcoholic beverage, in the house or on the property, or is found with an open can or bottle in their possession, action must be taken against the member or new recruit.
Punishments could include:
-Loss of Chi Omega membership
-Being asked to move out of the house
4. Chi Omega Members and New Recruits WILL NOT USE, POSSESS or SELL ILLEGAL DRUGS or CONTROLLED SUBSTANCES.
-Loss of Chi Omega membership
5. NO DRUGS, other than those prescribed for a specific Chi Omega sister by her physician, are to be used in or on Chi Omega property.
-Loss of Chi Omega membership
6. No smoking of any kind (cigarettes, marijuana, cigars, pipes, etc.) is permitted in the Chi Omega house or on Chi Omega property. No Chi Omega is permitted to smoke any illegal substance at any time.
7. Security is imperative for the safety of all members and residents. Doors are to remain locked at all times.
a. Propping doors open and giving out the lock combination constitutes a campus code violation. The security of our house depends on your caution-Please do not endanger the lives of your sisters!
b. Do not use the fire escapes to leave and enter the house. The fire escape doors are equipped with alarms ands sound as soon as the doors are opened. There is a $50.00 fine. The fire marshal shall meet with the chapter in the fall and unannounced drills will be conducted.
No male guests are permitted on the second and third floors of the Chi Omega House. No males are permitted on the first floor of the Chi Omega house except in the front parlor, TV room and dining room.
No male guests are permitted in the basement of the Chi Omega House. Disregard for this rule is a serious offense and will result in the termination of the sister’s residential Lease of the House.
If a Chi Omega is found in a restricted area with a male, action must be taken against her. All male guests are to enter the Chi Omega Chapter House through the front door. All males must acknowledge their entrance to any sisters within the front parlor, TV room and dining room for their visitation.
Males will be permitted in restricted areas of the House on “move in” and “move out” days only after signing in with the House Director. A registration sheet will be kept for sign-in on “move in” and “move out” days. On moving days, each visiting male will receive a visitor’s name tag. This procedure will be followed for any Chi Omega special event, such as Parents Weekend, when males may be permitted to visit restricted areas of the House. These special events must be approved by the House Director.
All male visitors must be out of the Chi Omega house by 1:00 AM Sunday through Thursday and 2:00 AM on Friday and Saturday.
9. Each member and new recruit shall make every effort to maintain a high scholastic average. Those unable to do so will meet with the scholarship advisor to establish an academic program to achieve academic success.
10. Do not steal from Chi Omega members and new recruits. This includes borrowing without permission.
11. No pets are permitted in the house.
12. Advisors will meet with active members and officers of the chapter on a regular basis. Contact must be made with the advisors if any questions arise that affect the financial obligations, activities and well being of the chapter or if any member needs assistance.
13. All members, committee chairpersons, officers of the chapter are to have receipts for purchases in the name of the chapter, before the Treasurer will reimburse. There is to be no borrowing from allocated budgets, so careful planning is imperative.
14. The members shall pay to the Chapter when it is due such individual charges as may incur for optional goods and services furnished by the Chapter, such as special assessments as the Chapter may levy upon its members, and such new recruitment fees, initiation fees, building fund fees and national dues as are customarily charged or assessed by the Chapter. Such charges, assessments and fees shall be paid as may be determined by the Chapter.
Immediate communication with the Treasurer, and treasury Advisor in writing is recommended should a problem in paying arise. If the member does not pay any sum when it is due, the member shall also pay fines and penalties as may be provided by the chapter’s rules and regulations.
Voluntary disaffiliation from the fraternity during the term thereof shall not release student from any obligations, duties, or rights hereunder. Such disaffiliation and release shall be effective only upon agreement and acceptance by the house under the rules and regulations in effect at the time, and made in writing and signed by the student and the Chapter president and treasurer.
Should it become necessary to retain the services of an attorney to collect from members any obligation in default, the member agrees to pay all attorney’s fees and all costs in connection therewith.
15. The Chapter House will follow the closing policy of the University. No items may be stored in the Chi Omega house during the summer. The House Corporation shall have the right to dispose of any personal property abandoned in or on the Chapter house premises.
16. The chapter, its House Corporation Board, the Fraternity and their officers, advisors, employees, agents shall not be responsible for any injury, loss, or damage to members or their property resulting from fire, theft, or other cause. The members shall insure ( with parent/guardian- homeowner policy) any property that is brought onto the Chi Omega Chapter house premises against the risk of loss or damage.
17. If a member’s physical or emotional well-being is in jeopardy, parents may be notified without prior consent of the chapter member(s).
18. The Standards Board will consist of the Personnel Chairperson, the Personnel Advisor and two members from each class. If a member violates the Epsilon Beta membership’s Rules of Conduct agreement, she will be allowed to present her case before the board. The Standards Board will make the decision on what action will be taken.
The power and authority to enforce the conduct shall be vested in the House Corporation Board.